Friday, July 9, 2010

City Championship

Today was the first round of the 3-day Charlottesville City Golf Championship at Meadowcreek. I was hesitant about entering because I've been putting poorly, but I had some good rounds recently, so I put in my entry a couple of weeks ago. I might have hesitated a little longer if I knew it would be an 8am shotgun start and I'd have to get up at 6am!!!

I've been giving Heather her progesterone shot at 9am every day, so I had to wake her up and give it to her at 7am this morning. Did I mention that my wife is pregnant? We're doing IVF and our doctor transferred two embryos into Heather on July 6th. We're hoping to have two girls and Heather is already lobbying to call them Ivy and Savannah. She's as nervous as a balloon in a pin factory and probably will be until she takes her pregnancy test on July 15th. I'm not nervous at all. I trust that God has the situation under control.

I headed off to the golf course immediately after delivering the shot. Heather, Killer (our Westie) and PC (psycho cat) all wished me good luck. I was looking forward to playing with Philip Mahone, one of my close friends and always a favorite whenever he tees it up. I like playing with him because I can "draft" off of him, but the guy is a mute on the golf course. He's Chatty Cathy off the course, but on the course he says about two words in 5 hours. Today was no different.

We started on #5 and I hit the ball great. Tee shot was down the middle, approach was to 6 feet, and I missed the putt. Just missed the green on #6, chipped to 4 feet and missed the putt. I hit a good drive on #8 and hit the green, but 3-putted (missing a 2-footer on the 2nd putt). No. 8 is a tough par 3 and I hit it to about 12 feet, missing that putt too!! So now I've played four holes, I should be 1 under, and I'm 2 over. Agggghhh!!! That's kind of how the day went. I hit a lot of great shots, but just didn't capitalize. I ended up shooting 75, or 5 over par. That's not horrible, but this is a day when I should have shot in the 60's. Philip (or Cheese, as I call him) was the opposite. He played okay, but frankly didn't hit it as well as I did, but man, that guy can putt! He shot 69 and is near the lead. I'm looking forward to playing the next two days and see if I can go low. I just need a hot putter!



No comments:

Post a Comment